Friday, December 31, 2021

A picture is worth a thousand words?

When asked to draw something other than rabbits, James drew ... another rabbit, and then a large animal who looks somewhat like a rabbit, which might show he is a little stubborn. I have to say the large animal seems happy and the rabbit looks a little defiant. He later ripped the drawing, but I stuck it back together because I thought it was cute.

His second drawing is of me with the two characteristics that must stand out to him: my uncombed hair (I seldomly have time to shower or brush it) and my unequal breasts. I have three boys and I've breastfed each of them for about 3 years (last last one might still have 1 year and a half to go) and has a preference for climbing on things and selectively jumping off them, which keep me and my mother on edge. As far as breastfeeding goes, they each had a preference for one side. They did not each prefer the same side and so the unequalness has shifted with a period of three years. Then Edward added a goat and a chicken to the page. He was only reusing the paper. There was too much blank space. Note that we have no pets in Spain as of yet, and we are not planning to get any.

I'll be turning 40 in the fall of 2022. When we moved to Barcelona Edward and I met a friend for some mail and he told me: "she must have been good looking once. Now she looks like a Barbie doll that has been left out for too long in the sand." The expression has stuck with me. It's an interesting way of looking at getting old. Of course, I wonder if that's how I look, too. So far James' picture is the best (and only) charicature I've seen of me. James is five and Edward is 11, and considers himself a reliable adult. When I was their age, 40something seemed so ancient. Now 60 no longer seems so old.

James does not color. He draws. Most of his pictures have a story attached to them, too. The ducks and rabbits build many bathrooms, buy houses, and leave building materials wherever they go. I was just hoping to get him to diversify. But sadly after the above drawings he went back to his ducks and rabbits.

No comments:

Post a Comment