Sunday, April 5, 2020

Discussions with neighbours and friends -- part 3

We went to Chizatau (a village near Lugoj where I own a house) because neighbours called to say our door was wide open. Apparently, some of the non-working younger people had a form of feast, which is not allowed in this period, but some people think they have nothing to lose. They got drunk and decided to break into people's homes. The lock and the door of the neighbour on the other side was broken. Nothing was taken from our place, but the door had been left wide open, and our next door neighbour tided it with a piece of string. I put an extra lock on the door. If they really want to they can jump over the gate or break the lock, but it's harder to do when drunk and I wanted to show I care. With this opportunity (one can travel but only for emergency situations), I spoke with some of the neighbours.

Next door neighbour; former hair-dresser, now in his early eighties: It is spring now. Each spring new life appears -- including new diseases. I put a shawl behind my back when I work in the garden even when it's warm because it can be windy. Then when I go inside for a break, I drink hot tea and hot soup too, if I am sick. And, if worse comes to worse, at my age, I keep a candle nearby.  My life has not changed much -- other that my family cannot come visit me now; they used to help a bit -- I spend most of my time at home since I work in the garden and it takes time to make plants grow. But for people who live in apartments -- to lock them inside like birds in cages -- it's awful and unheard off, and to do this everywhere in the world....

Neighbour around the corner -- she is a retired school secretary in her late sixties. She lives with her mother who is in her late eighties. [She is a practical lady whose father was the builder in the village; he had built many of the nicer houses and many of the stone structures that cover the graves in the graveyard, too; he passed away two or three years ago.] People from abroad have returned and have no jobs, and no right to any money from the government. So, they are starting to steal and it should only get worse. Take care of yourselves and of all those animals you have. Five chickens were stolen from the neighbour across the street. He lives alone. I now read the local news online. They said that across the police station from Lugoj somebody tried breaking into the bank to steal the ATM. They first broke into the next-door store and tried to cut through the wall -- and failed, this time. We've started making bread at home to limit our trips to the store. Do you know how to make bread without much yeast? None can be found in stores. Then a discussion with my mom on how to leave a bit of bread mixture from one bread to another followed. We also order food by phone to help some restaurants survive this crisis. They bring it to the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment