Wednesday, February 5, 2020

How to stop global warming? By David and Edward (Cornell talk)


David (12 years old) and Edward (9 years old) gave a talk at Cornell University in September. I finally posted it on youtube at their insistence. All the drawings minus the pie chart are made by the speakers.


The link and the video are below:

How to stop global warming?





While it's not perfect, it is their first public talk at a university and I am glad it happened at Cornell -- my alma mater for graduate school. They spent about two weeks preparing and drawing for it, and I am proud of them. Below is the poster we made and Ira printed (for those of you who are not regular readers -- Ira and Saul were my PhD advisors). It was posted in the elevator and on all the boards on the 6th floor of the Space Sciences building. I enjoyed seeing them give a talk at the same place where I gave my first seminars (same room, perhaps different projector, same faculty, and other graduate students). While the recording is done by my phone, one can hear what they say. I did not post the questions session because they were too truthful in some ways and I do not want to embarrass them for the future.

While I am a biased observer, and I am not a climate scientist, I find their point of view interesting and I think we need to listen more to their generation and include them in our decisions -- especially the decisions we take that might affect their future vs. giving our vote to older and older leaders and to those who have no interest in upsetting their donors by addressing climate issues. 

No comments:

Post a Comment