Thursday, October 21, 2021

Living in fear

I've been lucky. Nobody I hold dear has died of COVID-19 this fall, but every morning I wake up and wonder how long my luck will hold. My mother and I have vaccinated twice. Our second doze of Astra Zeneca was in June and so we are still not due for a third vaccine, and we are in Spain, for now. The children are not vaccinated because they are not over 12 (Edward is 11). Are we safe? is everyone we love safe? and is it right to worry over safety for so long?

In the taxi to the airport, our driver, who is vaccinated, and is pro-vaccination told us a proverb. He said that during the COVID-19 pandemic: "Saracii se spala pe maini si bogatii spala banii" (the poor wash their hand, while the rich launder money). While no market has crashed yet, a crash seems imminent. Romania is one of the nations that seems below all others in the EU in vaccination rate, and in medical care. It is not random. We've had a war against vaccination led by the press and by churches. Why? Is scaring people stiff an experiment? Since we don't have the Euro, perhaps it means that there is more to take without crashing the EU. Perhaps there is more to gain by extending the crisis.

So many people I know and love have not vaccinated because they are afraid. I cannot convince them otherwise. Every time the numbers drop, I hope for a return to normalcy, whatever that is. Schools will open on Monday (November 8?). Should they? I no longer know.

No comments:

Post a Comment